Sunday, October 26, 2014

Money Making Rules
Written by Darren Hardy

When it comes to making money, there are two rules I live by. Lucky for me, I learned them both when I was 12.

I suppose I was like any red-blooded 12-year-old boy—I dreamed of one day owning a Ferrari. I didn’t deck my bedroom walls with posters of movies, celebrities, athletes or outer space; I had four Ferrari posters—all cherry red.

One day after school, I walked into my house to see my dad’s mentor, business partner and former college football coach sitting at the kitchen table with my father. He had seen my small shrine to the Red Beauty in my room and asked, “A Ferrari, huh? Have you figured out how you are going to get one?”

“Um, no.” I replied with 12-year-old feigned disinterest. “Well you better get to work if you want one of those bad boys.” I explained that I was working – I mowed a couple lawns on the street and picked up straggler nails at a local construction site for a penny a piece.

“How much you earning in a week?” Coach asked. “$25,” I responded, bragging. Coach let out a guffaw. “At that rate, you’ll be a corpse behind the wheel! You need to make more money, faster!” “But how?” I asked.

The next sentence is Money Making Rule #1.

Coach leaned across the table and said in a tone that signaled this was important.

“Want to make more money, faster? Find something scary. Find something most don’t have the courage to do. The scary things pay the most.”

As I lay on my bed that night, my Ferrari posters hanging over me, I remembered a buddy talking about a local trade school who wanted people to stand outside bus stops, train stops and in the mall to ask complete strangers to take a survey.

“Approach people who don’t want to be bothered,” I thought. “That sounds pretty scary.”

The very next day I was standing outside the busiest bus stop in my neighborhood with a 16 year-old boy (who wanted a Lamborghini Countach) there to show me the ropes. We spent the entire day walking up to strangers who pushed us, yelled at us, spit at us, and at best simply pretended we didn’t exist.

I even had one woman shout at me to get a respectable job. “Go mow lawns or something!” Trust me, I considered it. I wanted to quit more times in those six hours than I have the rest of my life combined. But when the shift was done, I had 56 completed surveys. At $2 each, that was $112 in a single day! More than I made in a month mowing lawns and gathering nails. I could practically smell the leather of my Ferrari as we walked into the trade school to exchange our surveys for cold hard cash.

Unfortunately, when the boss was done counting the bills, he handed all $112 dollars to the Lamborghini lover. Seeing the shock (and fury) on my face, he explained, “Sorry kid, you’re training today. You’ve got a few more days until you get to keep the cash.”

I slammed the front door as I walked into my house that afternoon where, once again, Coach was sitting at the kitchen table. I told him what happened – that I found something scary, that they took all my money and that his idea was a bunch of hooey.

It was in the middle of this adolescent tantrum that Coach taught me Money Making Rule #2:

Training is always worth the price.

“Sure,” he said. “You don’t have any dollar bills to show for it. But you got something much more valuable. You learned a skill – an important one at that. The things you learned at the bus stop today you will use over and over and if you continue to apply them, you will make yourself millions.”

Sure enough. Facing rejection, overcoming objections, making a sale to a moving target, people skills, perseverance; everything I learned that first uncompensated day, I have used over and over to amass quite a fortune.

Finally, when I was 15 years old (a year ahead of schedule) and many, many surveys later, as well as several other scary entrepreneurial ventures, I had enough money to buy my very own Red Beauty. It was Mazda RX7—cherry red. While not a Ferrari, it sure felt like one to me.

Remember those two Money Making Rules:
#1—Scary work always pays the most. By scary that usually means dealing with rejection, disappointment and the risk of failure. It’s scary alright, but it much, much more profitable.

And #2: Training, mentorship and personal development is always worth the price as they are seeds that reap a perpetual harvest the rest of your life.

Content republished with permission from Darren Hardy, Publisher of SUCCESS magazine. For more great insights, tips and strategies on success and achievement go to http://DarrenHardy.SUCCESS.com. More about Darren Hardy can be found at: http://DarrenHardy.SUCCESS.com/About.
Post a Comment